Not only Roskilde
A journey through time to discover the Viking Age.
The Viking Age (ca. 800-1050 a.C.) is often associated to a milestone within the Danish and Nordic national consciousness in terms of creation of a sense of identity. If there is one word which most of the people would use when talking about the Danish history, that is “viking”. If we asked a person who does not live in Denmark what she/he knows about this country, one of the first ideas would probably refer to this very historical periodo. Not only in Denmark, but also abroad, this name is quite used as well as all the related images (e.g. the helmet with horns even if it was not really used by warriors during the viking phenomenons) in the advertising and promotional sector in order to passing on values such as strength, power, persistence, determination and so on. What does “viking” mean and who did it represent? Why do we place so much importance on this historical moment? Which were the causes and consequences? This visit will respond to these questions exhaustively. While taking into account the Gothic and Romantic literary movements, which contributed to idealizing and heroicizing the Vikings, our point of view will be based on a careful analysis of the society by considering all the paradoxes. We will see the ruins of the best preserved Viking military power system in Denmark, probably dating back to the end of the 10th century. We will visit the museum which houses the five ships that were found in the Roskilde fjord in the 1960, a great heritage with reference to the discovery of the maritime culture of the Viking era. One of the key changes that marked this era was the religious conversion from paganism to Christianity. We will, therefore, enter the Cathedral of Roskilde, listed among the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. At the end of our journey through time in the footsteps of the Vikings, we will visit a park where they have brought to life the several aspects of the daily life of more than 1000 years ago.
The technical itinerary may undergo changes in order to improve the guided experience. In addition, specific stops at the several sites of interest (museums, shops, showrooms, galleries, churches) - where expected - are subject to availability on the day and time of the visit. The chronological order of visits may be changed even at the last moment if circumstances require it, while maintaining the contents of the program unchanged.
- The guide service with local and certified guide in the required language;
- Car or minivan rental during the guided tour with driver at disposal;
- The entrance at the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde;
- The entrance at the Roskilde Cathedral;
- The visit at the military power system in the viking park, only in case of extended tour;
- The planning and booking service;
- The customer service before and during the reserved tours;
- The access to the private area of A Spasso con Elena from where you can download essential material for your stay.
- The visit at the military power system in the viking park, which can be added upon your explicit request;
- Personal expenses;
- All which is not expressly indicated under “IT INCLUDES”.
Be the first to review this tour "Not only Roskilde"
- How does this guided tour take place?
This tour takes place by private car or minivan given the distances between a place and the other.
- Why does the duration of this tour is 4,5 or 9 hours?
That is because you are free to choose either to visit only the Viking Ship Museum and Roskilde Cathedral (4,5 hours) or to enjoy the extended tour which also includes the viking park and the old military system (9 hours).
- Do you recommend me to visit only Roskilde or to choose for the extended excursion?
We recommned the full tour (9 hours) because it is tailored to make you enjoy the full journey through time in the footsteps of the Vikings.
- In the case of the longer tour, will there be time for a lunch break?
Yes, we certainly plan to hold a lunch break. In this very case, we will have a quick bite. Our break will be approimately 30-45 minutes long. If you prefer that we take care of arranging your lunch at a Danish restaurant so you can try typical food, let us know. We will be happy to satisfy your expectations. Please remember that in this case, the total duration of the tour will be longer and the final price will depend on the type of restaurant you choose.
- How can I know more about the price for this visit?
We kindly ask you to contact us, but before that, you can read about our rates in the section “Terms and Conditions” on our webpage.
Have you got more time available? Would you like to discover more about Copenhagen?
You might be interested in combining the tour above with the following offers.